Save up to 15% Off
Can you imagine swimming with the world’s largest fish? It’s a life-changing experience you’ll never forget.
To be in the presence of this gentle giant is difficult to describe. Words don’t do it justice.
Consider this, two tours in one. First, we travel by boat for about an hour to the whaleshark location. Just simply getting there, is beautiful.
Then you get three dives with a guide. Each dive is about 15-20 minutes long. Then we head back to Isla Mujeres where you can enjoy a complimentary seafood ceviche.
This is a magical experience you don’t want to miss.
Duration: Approximately 6 hours from (8:15 am to 2:00 pm)
ATTENTION: We recommend you arrive 20 minutes prior to departure.
If departing from Cancun, the tour preparation begins at 8am from the Punta Sam pier (at the end of Bonampak Avenue, alongside the Puerta del Mar Hotel, at the entrance of Playa Mujeres)
Boarding begins at 8:25 am as the boat will depart by 8:30 am.
- Isla Mujeres
If departing from Isla Mujeres, the boat will arrive from Cancun at around 9 am at the Pier XXXX near the Pemex Gas Station(need better departure location description). Please arrive 20 minutes prior so we can begin the preparation.
Around 9:15 am the boat will depart.
- After Departure
Your sea journey begins here as you take in all the beautiful colors of the Mexican Caribbean Sea, the alluring ocean breeze and the warm sunshine. If you have any additional questions or concerns, the co-captain can answer them at this time.
- The trip should take approximately 60 minutes to arrive at the whaleshark feeding location.
- Once we arrive, the entire group (by federal law, cannot be over 10 people) will be split into pairs of two.
- Each pair will be allowed to swim with a guide for approximately 10 minutes.
- Be prepared to swim quickly if necessary, as the whalesharks may be traveling rapidly. If you’re lucky, that won’t be necessary, as sometimes you can wait for the trajectory of the whaleshark to come to you.
- Despite having a guide there to assist you, you need to be aware of your surroundings at all times to ensure your safety. (Even though whalesharks are harmless towards humans, it is always best exercise caution when entering the ocean under any circumstances)
- WARNING: Under NO circumstance are you allowed to physically touch the whaleshark. If you do, or you witness someone who does, please notify us, as federal law requires a fine and penalty.
- If you’re lucky, you’ll also witness the majestic manta ray, as they also feed on the same plankton. Don’t worry, they’re 100% harmless.
- After your 10 minutes is up, the next group will get its turn. After everyone has gone, you can go for a second swim (and perhaps later a third, if possible).
Return to Isla Mujeres
- After everyone has had a chance to swim with the whaleshark at least a couple of times, we begin our journey back. At this point you will be given a light sandwich and a soda or water.
- After about one hour, we will arrive at the famous Playa Norte beach at Isla Mujeres. Here you can get out and swim or snorkel if you wish.
- At this point the captain will prepare a freshly made seafood ceviche. (Ceviche is popular seafood dish, with fish marinated in lime juice, salt, pepper, onions, tomatoes, and cilantro.)
- Once prepared, everyone re-enters the boat, to enjoy the local cuisine.
- Returning to Punta Sam (Cancun)
- If you are staying in Isla Mujeres, you can depart from the boat then.
- If you are returning to Cancun, we will drop you off at the starting point at Punta Sam.
- Do NOT drink alcohol before arriving. Those who clearly have will NOT be permitted on the tour. This is done for your safety and the whaleshark.
- The whalesharks are extremely sensitive to all forms of chemicals, so no form of sunblock (even the ecological versions) will be permitted. Because of this it is recommend you wear a long sleeve t-shirt and a hat if necessary.
- NO touching of the whaleshark is permitted at any time. Doing so will result in a fine and penalty.
What to bring?
• Swimsuit (and a long-sleeve t-shirt if possible)
• Photography is NOT included so bring a waterproof camera for taking pictures or videos if desired
• If you have your own non-alcohol beverages you want to bring, a cooler will be provided on the boat
• The port issues a 10 USD dollar (or 150 MXN pesos) fee to everyone who enters the boat. We do not collect any of this money)
• All snorkeling equipment (mask, snorkel, fins )
• Life-jackets (must be used throughout the tour)
• A light sandwich after swimming with the whaleshark
• A full meal of seafood ceviche after returning to Isla Mujeres
• Sodas & water
• Certified Captain & Co-Captain